The International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA), along with its corporate partners, recently doled out $9,600 to 17 regional programs that will help chapters and affiliated organizations in their efforts of trail building, maintenance and education.
“Small grants are a great way to kickstart local efforts and often are combined with community funding to drive a larger project like a bike park or new trail, ” said Rich Cook, IMBA development director. “We appreciate that Fox, Osprey and Clif Bar get this and have contributed to growing IMBA’s small grants program.”
IMBA and CLIF Bar gave out ten trail-preservation grants of $500 each to programs that promote environment education and inspire conservation in the mountain biking community. The awards were given to many programs like SORBA-Jax, which will use its funding to improve hiking and biking trails in the Nocatee Preserve. Specifically, the money will help cover the cost of building materials and equipment necessary to build and enhance the trail-user experience.
Osprey partnered with IMBA to give $400 to four projects through the “Let’s Build Trails” Program. The grant supports projects that are beneficial for the continuation or growth of recreational mountain biking in the U.S. One of the projects awarded was the Central Illinois Trail Association, which will use the grant to improve the trail at Lewis Memorial Acres on the west side of Springfield, Illinois. They will incorporate sustainable design, effective signage and risk mitigation. CILTA intends to then use that trail to education users, land managers and singletrack advocates regarding the capabilities of an IMBA chapter.
Finally, IMBA and Fox Bike Park and Pump Track awarded three programs $1,000 to support bike park projects in three different states. The Medicine Wheel Trail Advocates in Colorado Springs will use the grant to improve the existing Goose Gossage Bike Park by adding the first public pump track in Colorado Springs. They will also give a facelift to the jump lines and the start hill.
A full list of all grant recipients is below:
IMBA/CLIF Bar Trail Preservation Grants
• Central Ohio Mountain Biking Organization (Westerville, OH)
• Northeast Indiana Trail Riders Organization (Auburn, IN)
• Cycle-CNY (Lansing, NY)
• Bald Eagle Mountain Bike Association (Lewisburg, PA)
• SORBA-Jax (Jacksonville, FL)
• Northwest North Carolina MTB Alliance (Lenoir, NC)
• Northeast Georgia SORBA (Gainesville, GA)
• Central Alabama Mountain Pedalers (Auburn, AL)
• Del Norte MTB Association (Taos, NM)
• Central Iowa Trail Association (Des Moines, IA)
IMBA/Osprey “Let’s Build Trails” Program
• Central Illinois Trails Association (Chatham, IL)
• Team Dirt (Corvallis, OR)
• South Alabama Mountain Bike Association (Mobile, AL)
• Southern Kettle Moraine Chapter of IMBA (Whitewater, WI)
IMBA/Fox Bike Park and Pump Track
• Motor City Mountain Biking Association (Detroit, MI)
• Folsom Auburn Trail Riders Action Coalition (Auburn, CA)
• Medicine Wheel Trail Advocates (Colorado Springs, CO)
Fore more information, or to apply for the IMBA small grants program, click here.
More IMBA news: