Do you love Bike? Are you clever with words, organized and full of ideas about how to share content across multiple mediums and social media platforms? We are hiring a full-time online editor to be based in our Carlsbad, California, offices. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Bike magazine is seeking a seasoned, passionate mountain biker with a voracious appetite for mountain bike news to serve as editor of the magazine's website, bikemag.com. Duties include:
- Planning and executing daily editorial rollout, developing team of digital contributors and setting overall direction of the bikemag.com website.
- Managing Bike's social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. A thorough knowledge of these platforms—and a savvy understanding of how to parlay them into greater brand recognition—is one of the fundamental pillars of this job.
- Developing strategies to grow Bike's social media presence and tie these platforms into a cohesive identity that is synonymous with bikemag.com and Bike magazine.
- Assigning and editing editorial contributions from the team, establishing a high level of quality to help attract readership by optimizing content for search engines.
- Working with website production staff to coordinate content rollout and provide feedback to product team to help improve/develop the website to better attract users.
- Monitoring the digital editorial financial budget and managing freelance editorial contributors when appropriate.
- Writing features, columns and other designated editorial as needed for bikemag.com.
- Representing Bike at local, national and international trade shows and events to help build strong links with readers and the industry.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned, including possible video standup work.
This role is full-time located in Bike's Carlsbad, California, office.
- Journalism or English degree desired.
- Previous experience as an editor in a publishing environment, or equivalent education and experience.
- Previous experience managing staff.
- Strong photo editing/handling skills preferred.
- Pre-existing social media presence would indicate the level of previous experience with specific channels.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent writer and editor able to communicate complex issues in lively, clear and concise prose.
- Language skills suitable for a professional publishing position, including spelling, grammar and punctuation, plus proofreading and copy-editing capabilities.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work quickly and meet tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of mountain-bike industry.
- Video production/shooting skills a plus.
- Previous work on a high volume website a plus.
– Working knowledge of Microsoft Word suite, Adobe Photoshop, web content management systems, WordPress and relevant social media channels.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.